It would be a shame not to mark this year’s Civic Week and the 650th anniversary of the Royal Charter in some way, so we are launching a competition for the whole town!
With lockdown likely to continue for a while and bored youngsters with little to do get the whole family involved in:
- Dressing up your house or window with a Civic Week theme
- Making a scarecrow of a famous person from Dunbar’s past
INFORMATION AND RULES
- The competition is open to everyone in Dunbar.
- There will be prizes in 3 categories – Best dressed House, Best dressed Window and Best dressed Scarecrow.
- Businesses and shops that are open are welcome to join in too.
- Keep it clean and not too scary – remember it’s a family friendly competition.
House and Window entries
- Decide on a theme. Dress up the outside of your house or your window, take a photograph and send it in via Facebook messenger or email email@example.com and we will put it on our Facebook page, website, Twitter and Instagram pages. By entering, you agree to us sharing your entry online at the aforementioned places.
Scarecrow and 650th Anniversary of the Royal Burgh of Dunbar
- You may wish to include a cloth Scarecrow in your design (similar to other local towns, eg. Cove and Cockburnspath). Some Pinterest photo examples are below. The Scarecrow should ideally represent any well-known person connected to Dunbar over the past 650 years (eg. Oliver Cromwell, John Muir, Mary Queen of Scots, Black Agnes, General Sir Reginald Wingate, Robert Wilson). You do not need to include straw, old clothes will do, or anything else to hand, be creative!
Civic Week bunting!
- Include a bit of Civic Week blue and yellow coloured bunting in the design – we’re not expecting people to buy this but hopefully make it from eg. scrap paper, coloured in spare paper/ cardboard, use cloth, wool, string, recycled materials etc.
How to enter
- Send in a photo of your display by Thursday 11th June, 11pm.
- Include your name and a title for your ‘Best Dressed’ display when you send in your photo.
- Send it to us by Facebook messenger, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Displays to be up by early June and for the full Civic Week, 13th-21st
- For outdoor displays, make sure that it is secure and won’t blow away!
- Entries will be judged on 13th June by the Civic Week organising committee and winners announced soon after.